RFC: remove qt-copy

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 26 22:52:50 BST 2009

On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Harri Porten wrote:
> isn't, operating systems and packagers aren't neither. We can continue to
> strive for the lack of patches but in order to real with reality we should
> officially accept the need and places for patches.

that would be the point of the kde-qt repo imo: as a middle place for patches.
i there's a bug in Qt, it should be fixed there, but until it is we can house
a solution in kde-qt. the goal should _always_ be to merge it into Qt,
however. i honestly can't think of a legitimate use case outside of very dire
situations (e.g. Benjamin Reed's example) where this can't happen. if nothing
else, if Qt has issues that will not be fixed upstream then we probably need
to live with it as such, just like everyone else who uses Qt.

the Qt devs tend to be very reasonable IME, and i don't feel that we should
give ourselves an "unfair" advantage of maintaining a fork of another project
that creates problems such as different-Qts-on-different-OSes.

we tend not to fork other projects and Qt should be no different. there also
aren't many other projects where we have a similar working relationship. so
kde-qt is a nice reflection of that perhaps, but with Qt dev opening up i
think we should really try hard to get away from this fork mentality.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se