RFC: remove qt-copy

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue May 26 11:21:19 BST 2009

On 2009-05-26, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> No. How do packagers and others know when there is something updated?
>
> How did you do it before?

By following the qt-copy/patches dir and its evolution.

>> > we don't do BIC changes
>>
>> Who watches over it ?
>
> "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Linus Torvalds

Sure, but I'm asked by Aaron to not use my eyeballs here.

>> And once again. How do I easily extract the seperate patches from the
>> git repository ?
>
> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/kde-qt
>
> There's a list of branches there. If you click on any branch, the patch is =
> the=20
> topmost commit. If you click on it, you can get the raw patch, including=20
> author name, timestamp and commit message.

oh. great. I tried that, but was kind of confused by the big list of
unrelated commits when clicking on a specific branch.
(like on
http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt/commits/patches/0255-qtreeview-selection-columns-hidden
I wondered which ones were the relevant ones)
But if it is the top patch every time, I think I can learn to mentally
ignore the rest ;)

And I like that the numbers are kept, and I hope that they will be in
the future. If just I could find a way to get the patches extracted with
the branch name as filename.

Maybe I should find a advanced git for newcomers tutorial and try
figuring things out.

> Or, with the tool itself:
> 	git format-patch v4.5.1..4.5.1-patched
>
> That creates one file for each patch.

Great.
After massaging my local clone a bit, like git checkout -b 4.5.1,
I got git format-patch v4.5.1..origin/4.5.1-patched to output a set of
patches.

I'm guessing that clone warnings like:
|warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
is on purpose, along with "git pull" not just working[tm]

|$ git pull
|You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
|want to merge with, and 'branch.master.merge' in
|your configuration file does not tell me either.        Please
|specify which branch you want to merge on the command line and
|try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
|See git-pull(1) for details.
|
|If you often merge with the same branch, you may want to
|configure the following variables in your configuration
|file:
|
|    branch.master.remote = <nickname>
|    branch.master.merge = <remote-ref>
|    remote.<nickname>.url = <url>
|    remote.<nickname>.fetch = <refspec>
|
|See git-config(1) for details.

But I guess I am just showing off my lack of git knowledge now.

/Sune