RFC: remove qt-copy

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Tue May 26 04:04:46 BST 2009

On Monday 25 May 2009 22:19:35 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 25 May 2009, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > > It means checking out and building Qt again.
> >
> > It is not (yet) supported by kdesvn-build. ;)
>
> good point. any timeline on such a thing? :)

Well I should probably release 1.9 first since I've been promising it would be
"Real Soon Now" for about 6 weeks now.

> > Someone (mpyne?) will need to port kdesvn-build to use kde-qt instead of
> > qt- copy.
> >
> :) how much work do you think that is?

Well getting something working would probably take no more than a day of
focused effort.

Unfortunately my focused goal of keeping kdesvn-build as a single-file script
has resulted in its coding style resembling a C procedural-type program even
though a lot of the logic really would be more suited to object-oriented.  So
instead of generic "KDE modules" with exceptions (like qt-copy) as subclasses,
there's instead bits of special-casing within the code to handle qt-copy.

Wouldn't be too hard to simply grep for qt-copy everywhere and make sure the
new code still works but then again it's more work than necessary.

On the other hand it should make it much easier to handle the "apply_patches"
option for qt-copy since that's handled by what repo we're pulling from.

All in all though it shouldn't be more than a couple of days of work I think
from a initial attempt to something fairly reliable.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne