Plasma ScriptEngines and plasmapkg to kdebase/runtime?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 7 18:13:51 BST 2009

hello...

we have received requests from non-workspace-application developers[1] using
libplasma to move the ScriptEngines[2] and the plasmapkg[3] utility somewhere
they can get at them without inheriting a(n unwanted) dependency on kdebase-
workspace.

since they are not build requirements, kdebase-runtime seems like the natural
place for them.

any questions / concerns / thoughts / flames / cookies / European swallows[4]?

[1] Amarok is probably the most recognizable name there; they are motivated by
the desire for JavaScript based scripting features in Amarok2

[2] ScriptEngines allow one to write plasma addons (plasmoids, DataEngines,
runners) in languages other than C++ and ship them as tidy little packages

[3] plasmapkg allows one to install / remove / upgrade a packaged addon, e.g.
a plasmoid, specific to an application. it's not a replacement for things like
rpm/dpkg/etc or apt/zypper/yum/etc, it just covers the much more mundane task
of post-system-installation non-binary (scripts, wallpapers, etc..)
application addon management

[4] we're not interested in African swallows, as they have a completely
different load tolerance profile.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se