RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 5 23:39:04 BST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> No. This is not a matter of packaging it. This is a matter of attracting
> new small contributions, a matter of making it accessible, ....

the alternative of hundreds of small modules is that it becomes utterly
painful to build and maintain an entire desktop build. having our big modules
doesn't actually make it any harder to work on just one app; i do it all the
time and there are instructions on how to do this at the end of this email.

> I know how to do packaging - and I still don't get paid even though you
> seems to claim it from time to time.

i'm not interested in trading snipes with you. keep the conversation on a
mature level so we can be productive.

> I often get asked by people who wants to fix their pet bug in kmail or
> kopete or klipper or .... but end up not wanting to do it because they
> can't easily just build klipper without building entire
> kdebase/workspace.

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace
mkdir -p build/workspace
cd build/workspace
cmake ../../workspace
cd klipper
make -j4 && make install

voila. that's pretty easy, no?

if you want to avoid checking out all the sources, then:

svn co -N svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace
cd workspace
svn up klipper
vim CMakeLists.txt // remove all add_subdirectory calls except klippers

then do the rest as above, though unless you are on a highly constrained
internet connection it's easier to just check out the module and build the one
subdir.

you can also turn off individual projects with cmake, but i find that a bit
more trouble than its work.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se