Requiring KApplication because of installX11EventFilter (was Re: KModifierKeyInfo moved to kdereview)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 5 18:46:17 BST 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
>  In the end I could run KDE4 apps on top of QApplication.

yes, one _can_ but there are still things in KApplication that give some
harmony across KDE apps like a consistent entry on the session bus
(setApplicationName, setOrganizationName), the x11 start up id stuff,
registration of KUrl as a metatype, checking writability of config, rtl
awareness, some platform dependent stuff (e.g. the tray icon on a mac) ...

i'm not expecting all of these things to magically go into Qt, but they do
make KApplication, at least for gui apps, not quite optional without running
into either inconsistencies or a lot of code dupe.

what it does mean, of course, is that our widgets and other libraries should
never, ever use KApplication internally anymore as they have no need to
(KComponentData ftw! :). only the actual executable applications should ever
see / require this class.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se