Requiring KApplication because of installX11EventFilter (was Re: KModifierKeyInfo moved to kdereview)

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Tue May 5 17:20:17 BST 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 11:06 AM, Michael Leupold wrote:

>> Wasn't the plan to make KApplication only some kind of an optional
>> convenience extra that is not required? My memory is a bit hazy on
>> this
>> and I can't find it in the archives - does somebody remember?
>>
>> If that's the case, it should be instead implemented in Qt to have
>> better
>> support for X11 event filters. Recently there was a similar problem
>> in
>> kde-devel about KWindowSystem "not working".

Yes, during the early KDE4 development I put in a lot of time and
effort to clean up KApplication.  Moving functionality out of KApp and
into much more appropriate places, even adding some stuff to Qt to
make it possible.  In the end I could run KDE4 apps on top of
QApplication.  One example of the driving forces was that designer
will never use KApplication so you can not have a widget that expects
kApp to exists.  There will always be Qt applications that can never
have KApplication and in the past KApplication was kinda a dumping
ground for anything that didn't seem to fit anywhere else.  Keeping it
as minimal as possible makes a lot of sense.

-Benjamin Meyer