4708 warnings...

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Tue May 5 18:04:28 BST 2009

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 05 May 2009 01:57:10 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>> > If anyone wanted to dramatically reduce the warning count, she would
>> > start fixing those with the highest duplicates :)
>>
>> You will need to fix gcc to fix the first 4, since the code is doing
>> absolutely nothing wrong.
>
> Of course KHTML/KJS does nothing wrong, but that is not the point.
> The point is to get rid of these warning to see the warnings that actually
> matter, so that we can see real errors in the code. I would like to see
> these
> warnings fixed to reduce the noise when compiling.

The only problem is, this a root class of a huge hierarchy, with perhaps
50 subclasses or more. Renaming methods there carries a non-trivial risk
of introducing a bug (or a performance regression in this case); and
you'll have to pardon me for being a whee bit paranoid since during early
KDE-4.0 era, I've probably fixed half a dozen critical bugs whose commit
messages were more or less "cleanup" (including one that completely broke
KDE startup). As such, my personal policy is that commits should always
fix user-affecting bugs, and I try hard (though not always successfully)
to reign in my impulses towards style pedantism.