Root privileges in systemsettings

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 15:46:39 GMT 2009

I have found some references for Win & Mac.

Windows:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd550643(VS.85).aspx

Mac:
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Security/Conceptual/authorization_concepts/01introduction/introduction.html

The Mac one in particular seems very well documented and carries a pair of
examples too. Its design looks also, if not the same, very similar to
PolicyKit's one, and that is surely a plus.

Both (Win & Mac) systems also use the caller+helper technique, so such a thing
is definitely possible, and the right way to go.

Now I just need some help from a Win and a Mac developer to draft the API,
since I don't have nor the time nor the will to start studying their methods &
API. CC-ing kde-win and kde-mac on this purpose. Please reply on -core-devel.

Dario

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer