overhaul of some kcm appearance

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 20:03:46 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009, Louai Al-Khanji wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:24 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 16 March 2009, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> >> have you ever wondered why kde is an island beyond those apps which go
> >> full monty, while gnome core technologies are more or less silently
> >> penetrating not only the desktop (including kde), but the entire free
> >> software market?
> >
> > i'd offer:
> >
> > * an allergy to anything that isn't C
> > * greater concern about distributions than application developers
> > * a total lack of pragmatism on the gtk+ people's part that prevents them
> > for purely ideological reasons from using anything they haven't made *
> > better political working with the distributions
> > * and finally, people who work on lower layer things like networkmanager
> > etc while kde remains focused a bit too much on the higher layers of
> > things which then naturally biases the lower layers towards things
> > written by "gtk+ people"
> >
> > and yes, before kde4 we had messy libraries with no internal structure.
> > our libraries are still "big", though not insanely so, but libkecore and
> > libkeui are better structured now.
>
> Sorry to butt in on the conversation and further derail it, but I
> think there is another important point that hasn't come up yet: it's
> almost impossible to ship a stand-alone application which uses KDE
> libraries on platforms other than *nix.

Well, yes. But see it like this: just since KDE4 we also run on Windows and
OSX, so this is still simply very new.
Considering the number of developers working on getting KDE running on OSX and
Windows (AFAIK 0 full time developers, and mostly Christian and Patrick
working on the Windows stuff in their spare time, with the help of a few
more, and a similar (maybe even less) situation on OSX), I was really
impressed to see that basically the complete KDE 4.2 was installed on a
Windows machine and many of the programs were working
With just a little bit manpower more, we could make a lot of progress there in
a short time I'm sure.

Alex