overhaul of some kcm appearance

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 16 23:07:55 GMT 2009

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> So you'd like to use some functionality from some KDE library, but the
> potential users are "hesitant" because this would mean to install all of KDE,
> including all its dependencies ?
> Do we need to improve here ?

IMO no. I think there is a perceived difference because so many things
take the presence of gtk/glib for granted, but I also don't think the
scope of those dependencies is that much "lighter" than Qt, if at all.

> Or should we make it easier to build parts of kdelibs separately ?
> Or structure kdelibs a bit like kdebase, with a set of "core" libraries
> (kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile), and some not so-core stuff, like e.g. katepart,
> lkhtml, plasma, ftp and http ioslaves, kdoctools, etc. ?

I suspect distros wouldn't complain about that :-).

Somewhat OT, but one thing I would really appreciate is if I could
install kcalc without dragging in the entire bulk of cups due to
printer-applet. (This is partly a Fedora problem, however; IOW, I wish
they'd split kdeutils - and, for that matter, kdepim - into smaller bites.)

--
Matthew
"I don't question your existence -- God" (seen on a church billboard)