overhaul of some kcm appearance

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Mar 14 23:00:02 GMT 2009

On Saturday 14 March 2009 20:48:20 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:08:18PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> > so think it's a bit different, libplasma didn't make big concern when
> > was included in kdelibs and such shouldn't make big problems when used
> > in kdebase.
>
> which part of "plasma" in "libplasma" exactly does not suggest that it
> was put into kdelibs for the convenience of developing plasma
> applications?

Read Amarok's source code, as a prominent example. Valid or not by your
definition of a "plasma application".

> if it wasn't meant that way, then something went thoroughly wrong.
> because as is, from a random non-plasma application's perspective, the
> lib is more or less "librandomstuff" with very little useful features
> and a lot of cruft. if the lib was meant for general use, then maybe a
> little more thought ought have been put into segmenting it and possibly
> merging it into existing libs in some useful ways.

This is not constructive anymore and offensive to some people. It would be
good to step back here and not get dragged away by inconstructive ranting.
That makes all our lives a bit better.

> specifically regarding linking libkworkspace against it: kworkspace in
> general is a dumping ground for "random stuff that seemed to make sense
> to centralize". a requisite for the acceptability of such an approach is
> a small total size and only light or very generic dependencies. for my
> taste, kdeui is already on the edge (drat, should have ensured that
> core-only stuff is not merged with the ui stuff in the first place), but
> a webkit dependency is beyond evil.

You provide exactly no exact information. To me that's another sign to shut
down this discussion before it gets even worse.
--
sebas