Fullscreen interfaces

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 16:26:20 GMT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 16:25:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 13 March 2009, Torsten Rahn wrote:

> > I think what people would like to see is a stricter and clearer
> > specification of the _scope_ of plasma. That specification should outline
> > what intent of use is part of plasma's development focus and what is not.
> on the other hand, i feel we have more than enough going on to take care of
> (we really don't need more on our plate) and that not one single other
> application in kde is asked to do this.

Well,
I think that every single KDE application should have a document that defines
clear cut what is their scope and what is out of its scope. Mandatory marble
reference here:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/marble/MANIFESTO.txt?revision=676415&view=markup

Yes, we (the Marble Project) should revisit our document, too. And I realize
that there had been similar work for plasma in the past, too.

It think it's vitally important that we revisit such documents. Otherwise our
"innovations" will result in uncoordinated growth and uncoordinated feature
creep.

> actually benefit the user experience in any way, it would be brilliant if
> you could participate, utilize and help spread the results.

Sorry, I'm busy enough to do the same for Marble.

> this particular bit of your email also borders on "let's start a general
> bitch fest about anything we don't like, understand or get about plasma and
> any code around that project".

There's no bitching involved (I would have kept it less constructive and would
have added sarcasm and irony otherwise). And I don't have a reason to bitch as
I like much of the plasma development.

I only tried to express where I think Plasma urgently and critically needs to
improve (And I skipped the "It-must-not-crash"-aspect for good reasons even).

> please don't throw around terms like "map in the spatial memory" unless
> you're prepared to offer some actual evidence to the fact that we are
> talking about spatial memory, mapping, etc.

That is trivial to show - especially once a user got lost in one of the
virtual desktops of his activities (or was it the other way around?) and asks
himself "WHERE the hell did I put this window -- or was it a plasmoid ... ?"

Regards,

Torsten