overhaul of some kcm appearance

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 12 22:15:04 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 05:13:28PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > pulling a 2 meg lib (which again pulls something like 40 more libs
> > > of *very* varying sizes) for one small class is where "makes sense"
> > > does not apply by my standards.
> >
> > in this case we're talking about using it in kcm's that are certainly
> > part of the KDE4 workspace. as such, these libraries will already be
> > loaded and in use by other apps, and it's kcm's not some small utility
> > where this would have a long term and meaningful impact on usage.
>
> not really true ... this is also pulled into kdm's kcm, and that may
> very well be used outside a kde workspace.

likeliehood of that? weighed against making things coherent for the rest of
our users?

> you should also consider that some people might compose workspaces with
> kde workspace components but without plasma;

the workspace should still look coherent. fact is that nobody has really cared
about that, and so nobody worked on it. result? a bunch of separate components
that were only loosely similar, and as more features were added to each
component it just got more and more apparent that this was a scattered
collection of apps.

if libplasma can make kwin and kdm and whatever other bits look more coherent,
with or without plasma, we'll be a lot closer to the goal of visual coherence
and consistency.

> in fact, a light-weight
> kde-based alternative to plasma is being developed right now.

cool; almost certainly a vast waste of time. but cool, i guess.

> > plasma-mid, plasma-overlay (screensaver) .. perhaps one day even
> > kdm-plasma ;)
>
> oh, i really hope so. but it will be dynamically loaded and totally
> optional. :P

of course...

--
Aaron J. Seigo