Fullscreen interfaces

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:12:57 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > besides some other stuff, I've been hacking on a fullscreen interface for
> > my puzzle game Palapeli (see blog entry [1]). Along with this, I have
> > thought about the topic of fullscreen interface components, and as I read
> > from the comments on [1] that there is interest in it, I want to raise
> > this topic here.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://majewsky.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/the-week-in-palapeli-research-on
> >- fullscreen-interfaces/
> >
> > Currently, we have some quite prominent apps with fullscreen interfaces,
> > each one implementing its own solution. Let's analyse them:
> > * The most prominent example is the Plasma cashew, obviously the result
> > of application of Fitt's law.
>
> i'd be happy to export a class in libplasma that gives access to such a
> thing. we'd have to do an API review of the classes involved and do a bit
> of clean up, but that's not a blocking issue just something we haven't done
> as there has been no external users for it
yeah, if we want to export the cashew i think it could even need a serious
rewrite, i was touching it the other day and the feeling was not entirely
pretty (a size() function that returns an int and not well a size it's a bit
disturbing for instance :))

> > It displays a widget with common tasks for the
> > given containment. I cannot comment on plasma-mid, as I have not yet
> > tested it.
>
> plasma-mid doesn't use such things yet, but it eventually will.

i wanted to write a rough plasma-mid oriented demo one of these days that made
some use of the cashew, but never got around it, i think i'll give it a spin
tough