Fullscreen interfaces

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 11 23:19:14 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> besides some other stuff, I've been hacking on a fullscreen interface for
> my puzzle game Palapeli (see blog entry [1]). Along with this, I have
> thought about the topic of fullscreen interface components, and as I read
> from the comments on [1] that there is interest in it, I want to raise this
> topic here.
>
> [1]
> http://majewsky.wordpress.com/2009/02/23/the-week-in-palapeli-research-on-
> fullscreen-interfaces/
>
> Currently, we have some quite prominent apps with fullscreen interfaces,
> each one implementing its own solution. Let's analyse them:
> * The most prominent example is the Plasma cashew, obviously the result of
> application of Fitt's law.

i'd be happy to export a class in libplasma that gives access to such a thing.
we'd have to do an API review of the classes involved and do a bit of clean
up, but that's not a blocking issue just something we haven't done as there
has been no external users for it

> It displays a widget with common tasks for the
> given containment. I cannot comment on plasma-mid, as I have not yet tested
> it.

plasma-mid doesn't use such things yet, but it eventually will.

> * Aaron mentioned that Digikam also features a fullscreen interface, but I
> do not have it installed and cannot comment on that, either. I would expect
> it to be quite similar to the one that Gwenview provides.

it's much more basic and lacks all the nice features of gwenview. it would be
great to share a slideshow framework between all these apps. we'll be making
one for plasma media center stuff at some point.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se