Summer of Code Proposal - Looking for a mentor

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Mar 12 09:49:11 GMT 2009

On Thursday 12 March 2009 00:47:43 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> [...] Then there needs to be a command that does the
> same but also runs 'shred' on the appropriate parts of the disk.

This is getting off-topic, but I want to point out that a recent study (*)
showed that the rationale behind this "shredding", i.e. the danger of being
able to retrieve overwritten data using an atomic force microscope is not true
(anymore) with modern (used) disks.  IOW, it has become sort of an "urban
legend".

* http://sansforensics.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/overwriting-hard-drive-data/

I thought that would be of enough interest for people on this list,
 Greetings
  Hans