Summer of Code Proposal - Looking for a mentor

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 11 23:47:43 GMT 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 March 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> (I have, at times, considered doing my backups to git, or at least
>> putting large chunks of my disk into a git repo. The biggest problem is
>> that - both to not use unreasonable amounts of space, and for
>> privacy/security reasons - you need something where you can purge
>> content, which most VCS's deliberately don't satisfy.)
>
> git can do that just fine, afaik. it's used often when merging branches to get
> rid of "work in progress" type commits so they don't pollute the target
> branch.

Well, sure, plus garbage collection of the detached branches. In fact
I've done history rewriting, but it's not really "easy". To be useful as
an actual FS, there needs to be a command that will purge a file and all
historic instances of it. Then there needs to be a command that does the
same but also runs 'shred' on the appropriate parts of the disk. That's
not exactly git's strong suit.

--
Matthew
Microsoft has become the next IBM; a dinosaur struggling to survive in