Repositioning the KDE brand

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 19:57:33 BST 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009 16:04:22 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> Would this discourage the use of "The KDE Project" which should now be
> simply referred to as "KDE"?

I don't think calling it a "project" made sense anyway in the last years.
Projects have a fixed goal and more or less fixed resources attached to reach
that goal.
While it applied to us (well, not me ;)) when Matthias founded KDE, it is not
true anymore. No one ever got the idea that KDE was finished when we released
3.5.10 (or whatever the point was when we could honestly say "Yes, we've now
reached the point where we can say that Matthias' goal has been satisfied").
Instead, our community changes the way it works, and changes its goals in
itself.

I'd much rather like to refer to the "KDE Project" as the KDE community,
that's an entity people can work with, even if it sounds a bit hippie-ish at
times (in that case, just use the "KDE Team").
--
sebas