removing Eigen from kdesupport?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 21:59:46 BST 2009

On Tuesday 23 June 2009, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> I've updated FindEigen2.cmake and the CMakeLists everywhere to require
> Eigen >= 2.0.3 and no longer point to kdesupport.
>
> As requested by Tom on kde-devel, I leave eigen in kdesupport until
> the branching of KDE 4.3.
>
> The version in kdesupport is 2.0.51, so it passes the check >= 2.0.3,
> it is possible to build KDE 4.3 with it, but still, the recommended
> version to use for everybody is 2.0.3.
>
> > People installing eigen for the first time should use the 2.0.3 release
> > even if it's not packaged by the distro yet, no?
>
> Yes, everybody should use 2.0.3.

Just two comments:
-please document the EIGEN2_MIN_VERSION variable at the top of the file

-Why 2.0.3 as default and not e.g. 2.0.0 ? I would suggest to set the default
of EIGEN2_MIN_VERSION to a version number which is always ok, since the file
before your patch was ok with any version it found. If we change
FindEigen2.cmake so that it now fails because of the version, this is a
source incompatible change (because now a package which doesn't need the
newer version will not build anymore because FindEigen2.cmake now fails,
although it wouldn't have to). If that's the case, we really should not do
that.

Alex