Can we* prettyplease do something about the KUrlNavigator?

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Thu Jun 18 08:54:10 BST 2009

Peter Penz wrote:

>> 2nd
>> the look should clearly indicate that "this is an input area" (then this
>> thing would be even usefull outside the filemanager context)
>>
>> -> conclusion:
>> the whole thing should always look like a lineedit, with changes on the
>> content /only/
>
> I object at this point. I don't like to change the look of the breadcrumb view
> to a lineedit-look (= white background etc.) The breadcrumb mode and the
> editable mode are modes with a different behavior and should be visually
> distinguishable too.
>
> What can be improved IMO is how the switching between the modes is done.

As much as I dislike the tone of the OP mail, I have to agree that I
thought about proposing a lineedit look for the breadcrumbs. I think it
would help making it look like a widget the user can interact with.

An alternative solution would be to make the breadcrumbs look more
clickable. Something like this:

http://newsite.binarynights.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/picture-81.png

> I'm open to:
> - find a better alternative to the "undo" button
> - to improve the visual feedback when hovering the empty area in the
> breadcrumb mode to indicate that an editing is possible

ATM a 2 pixel thick vertical bar is shown when hovering the empty area.
I suggest either making it look more like a "traditional caret": one
pixel thick with small horizontal edgets at top and bottom or showing a
frame border when hovering (see attached mockups).

Aurélien