KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/shortcuts

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 22:19:10 BST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>
>> On 03.06.09 19:07:14, John Tapsell wrote:
>>>
>>> SVN commit 977282 by johnflux:
>>>
>>> Add F11 as a shortcut for fullscreen
>>
>> [...] this takes away a prominent and easy-to-reach shortcut from
>> _all_ applications for the benefit of just a few (which actually have
>> special fullscreen mode) as far as I understood.
>
> Actually, everything has full-screen mode, since it is a WM thing (unless it
> goes out of its way to avoid it). It just isn't "special" in most
> applications.

Actually, you mistaken here. We're discussing the "Full Screen Mode"
standard action, not KWin's "Fullscreen" setting. The two are not
equivalent. See Gwenview for a case where this is particularly
obvious.

Personally, I do see some value in Konqueror using F11 as its
*secondary* shortcut for going fullscreen. It adds some compatibility
for transitioning users, without costing Konqueror anything. But
applying it to all applications just doesn't make sense. Ctrl+Shift+F
is already KDE's fullscreen shortcut and I don't think we need
another. If individual applications want to use F11, that should be
their choice.

Parker