Accelerators missing from dialogs in KDE 4.3

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 29 17:29:46 BST 2009

Richard Dale wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 July 2009 04:43:50 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Richard Dale wrote:
>>> I personally think the whole concept is broken of having letters
>>> underlined in menu items to denote which key you need to press with alt.
>>> And the underlines look really ugly - the Macintosh doesn't have them at
>>> all and looks much better.
>> How else would you indicate what is the accelerator letter?
> As I say above, the Macintosh doesn't have them. If I want to quickly do a
> 'cut' operation I type command+C, I don't type alt+E to select the edit menu
> followed by alt+C to cut. Why do we need two sets of mechanisms for doing
> things from the keyboard?

Dynamic menus. (As in, assigning shortcut keys for the entirety of
kate's highlighting menu is not feasible... and that's just one example.)

> In Windows at least, there is an option to only show the underlines if you
> type 'alt'.

...which only works for the menu bar itself since once the menu is
active, alt is not needed. (Though I thought KDE had such an option
also...? Anyway I personally hate that option and always turn it off,
i.e. I always show accelerators.)

--
Matthew
C++ is for people who want to be able to not just shoot themselves in