backward/forward binary compatibility checker

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jul 29 11:52:02 BST 2009

Em Quarta-feira 29 Julho 2009, às 09:31:36, Thiago Macieira escreveu:
> Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
> >    Colleagues, I'm a lead developer from Institute for System
[snip]
> I've now got the tool to run. I'll let you know what the results are.

After running for a 10 minutes, the tool reported:

cheched headers: 18/18 (100%) )
warning: compilation errors in following headers:
QtCore QtOpenGL QtXml QtNetwork QtXmlPatterns QtAssistant QtHelp QtWebKit
QtTest QtDBus QtScript QtSql QtGui QtScriptTools QtUiTools QtDesigner QtSvg
Qt3Support

(I think you meant "checked headers", please run a spell checker in your
tools)

So 18 out of 18 headers failed to compile. Here's why:

$ head -n3 header_compile_errors/Qt/errors_v1
cc_tmp/Qt1.h:1:46: error: /* This section is not necessary */: Arquivo ou
diretório não encontrado
cc_tmp/Qt1.h:2:85: error: /* For example, it is a tree.h for libxml2 and
ft2build.h for freetype2 */: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado
cc_tmp/Qt1.h:3:67: error: /* This section is useless when -fast option
selected */: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado

So apparently I cannot leave the comments in the sections of the descriptor
file. Since the descriptor example the tool generates leaves them, it's
misleading. Please fix that.

And why didn't it bail out after the first one failed to compile? I didn't have
to wait 10 minutes to find out that the process would fail.

Also, the tool could say that the results are in the subdirectory.

After fixing all those errors, the tool ran for 12 minutes and generated the
empty report attached. I've also attached the two descriptor files.

What did I do wrong? I doubt that it needed 12 minutes to generate a listing
of files I had given it as input.

  Senior Product Manager - Nokia, Qt Software
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358