Review Request: AudioDataOutput support in Phonon w/ backends.

Ian Monroe imonroe at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 16:20:00 BST 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Ian Monroe<imonroe at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Fathi Boudra<fboudra at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Ian Monroe<imonroe at kde.org> wrote:
>>> You're creating a catch-22 that doesn't really exist. So since there
>>> seems to be some confusion: kdesupport Phonon is the canonical
>>> upstream location of Phonon. Obviously downstream in Qt is going to be
>>> a little bit behind. But thats how these things work. :)
>>
>> Do you mean Qt Phonon will include these changes ?
>>
>> still, these changes won't be included to Qt before 4.6
>> and KDE trunk requirements is Qt 4.5 atm.
>>
>> The question remains, what about people using Phonon from Qt 4.5 ?
>
> They don't get the new features. People using old libraries don't get
> the features of the newer version. Its always like this.
>
> Phonon's status is legitimately confusing since its had no major
> development in a year+. It was taken out of kdelibs since that made
> coordinating releases with Qt hard. Perhaps it would make sense to
> have a Phonon release in some months to allow people to use these
> features before Qt updates.

Ah sorry, I didn't see this issue was already under discussion in
another thread. Letting Qt package Phonon makes sense to me. :)

Anyways maybe we can wind this thread to be on-topic. Aren't you the
phonon-vlc person? You and Martin Sandsmark should talk about
implementing this new API in phonon-vlc. I've long had hopes that
Phonon-VLC would be the backend to rule and bind them all.

Ian