Broken kdelibs trunk: no screensaver_interface.h

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Sat Jul 25 12:38:15 BST 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009 5:54:05 pm Josh Berry wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:13, Josh Berry<des at condordes.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The kdelibs trunk build has been broken for me for over 24 hours now.
> > Here's the compile error:
> >
> > [ 55%] Building CXX object kutils/CMakeFiles/kutils.dir/kidletime/kidletime.o
> > In file included from /usr/src/kde4/kdelibs/kutils/kidletime/kidletime.cpp:24:
> > /usr/src/kde4/kdelibs/kutils/kidletime/xscreensaverbasedpoller.h:24:35:
> > error: screensaver_interface.h: No such file or directory
> > In file included from /usr/src/kde4/kdelibs/kutils/kidletime/kidletime.cpp:24:
> > /usr/src/kde4/kdelibs/kutils/kidletime/xscreensaverbasedpoller.h:45:
> > error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of
> > 'OrgFreedesktopScreenSaverInterface' with no type
> > /usr/src/kde4/kdelibs/kutils/kidletime/xscreensaverbasedpoller.h:45:
> > error: expected ';' before '*' token
> >
> > No screensaver_interface.h appears to have been checked in to kdelibs.
> >  Can someone with commit access please take a look when you have a
> > chance?
>
> After further investigation, it seems this is because I did not have
> libxss installed on my system.  libxss provides the necessary header
> file.
>
> However, libxss is listed in cmake as an optional dependency, so I
> think this is still a bug.  CMake cheerily tells me it that libxss
> wasn't found on my system, but then proceeds without error.  So
> either:
>
> - Libxss should be marked as a mandatory dependency.
> or
> - KIdleTime needs to be fixed to not rely on libxss if it is not available.
>
> Should I file a bug for this?

All the libs in kdelibs must always be built.
We can't have some libs optionally built (well, we do now for nepomuk
depending on Soprano, but I think that's wrong)

If kidletime cannot build without libxss, then libxss has been promoted to
a hard dependency and the kdelibs buildsystem must be modified accordingly.

Anyway... fixed in revision 1002216.

-Allen