Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jul 20 22:30:43 BST 2009

On Monday 20 July 2009, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 17 July 2009, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Can you make a list of concrete things which are problematic for you as
> > it is now ?
>
> Well, basically the things Thiago mentioned earlier:
>
> * anything that needs to run another process than my application (kded,
> kglobalacceld, klauncher, knotify, dbus...)

I think dbus is something we should want to have also in Windows. We are not
the only project using dbus, so if it is easy to have dbus working on
Windows, other (non-KDE) free software projects may use it too.

The other things, aren't they started automatically when you start a KDE
application and they are not yet running ?
Which of them are necessary on Windows or Mac is a different question.

> * anything that wants to finds installed stuff in some pre-ordained path or
> file system structure.

I.e. on Windows and Mac hardcoding/compiling in paths depending in
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is bad, but locations should be determined at runtime
relative to <something>. Isn't something like this already done under
Windows ?

> * and for this particular issue, anything that adds size on disk or in
> memory for something I am not using.

I guess that's also true on Linux (... especially on low end netbooks/embedded
systems/etc).

Alex