Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jul 20 20:15:34 BST 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Can you make a list of concrete things which are problematic for you as it
> is now ?

Well, basically the things Thiago mentioned earlier:

* anything that needs to run another process than my application (kded,
kglobalacceld, klauncher, knotify, dbus...)
* anything that wants to finds installed stuff in some pre-ordained path or
file system structure.
* and for this particular issue, anything that adds size on disk or in memory
for something I am not using.

As Thiago says, the problem is the expected runtime environment :-(.

I love KDE, and I miss it sorely when I have to use something else, whether
that's my phone, my mac or my windows vm -- but if I want to make my app
available on those platforms, KDE is a liability.