Review Request: Change "abort session" to "exit session" in kdm

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:16:50 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 07:54, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 02:52:06AM +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>> Celeste asked a valid question,
>>
> the question was valid as such, but not the way she approached it. she
> concentrated on formalisms instead of looking at the actual
> functionality and questioning the general applicability of her "abort is
> bad" notion. so i tried to hint her again, this time with a little more
> spice. i failed. too bad.

I think you have to keep in mind that you were discussing this with a
usability person, and not a developer. It's the job of usability folks
to come up with pie-in-the-sky ideas for creating simple, consistent
UIs. We developers, in turn have the job of explaining the real world,
technical complexities that conflict with those ideas. In theory, the
some kind of compromise should be reached and KDE should be better off
because of it.

But you can't really expect someone doing purely usability work to
play on both sides. Hence the need for a simple explanation instead of
hints.

Parker