shared lib: conversion-lib in Plasma

Carsten Niehaus cniehaus at gmx.de
Thu Jul 16 19:43:22 BST 2009

Moin moin

My SoC student Kashyap R Puranik is coding something for Kalzium
(kdeedu) which needs a unit conversion library [cf [1]]. The Boost-lib
is not enough (missing units) while the Plasma-lib in

	kdeplasma-addons/libs/conversion

was almost perfect. He only needed one missing feature which Kashyap
implemented. That was merged some days ago:

	http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=994221

Now there is one problem left: We (kdeedu) don't want Kalzium to depend
on kdeplasma-addon. Furhtermore, the whole lib doesn't depend on
anything from Plasma, it doesn't even depend on QtGui, only uses low
level classes like QStringList or QString.

I don't think a unit conversion library belongs into kdelibs itself, but
kdepimlibs doesn't work either. But where could it go?

Let me quote Aaron [2]:

"they get moved somewhere common, though i don't know where this one
would go.
it has kdelibs deps (so kde-support is out), i don't know if it really fits
into kdeibs itself and it certainly doesn't in kdepimlibs ... we'll figure
something out. we may end up creating a new module or just putting it into
kdelibs; it does need to stick to an ABI at this point."

Greetings,
	Carsten

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/plasma-devel@kde.org/msg06031.html
[2] http://www.mail-archive.com/plasma-devel@kde.org/msg06035.html