Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Wed Jul 15 19:04:06 BST 2009

On 7/15/09 10:04 AM, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Em Quarta-feira 15 Julho 2009, às 16:05:16, nf2 escreveu:
>>>
>>> Yes.

>>> The point is that there is no platform yet. I don't consider GVFS to be
>>> part of such platform.
>>
>> Sure, but why?
>
> It doesn't exist. Do I have to explain why it doesn't? My point here is that
> there was nothing to integrate with when KIO was written and there continues
> to be nothing to integrate with now, replacing the functionality.
>
>> Which are the important arguments against choosing it as a platform
>> technology? Is it dependencies, is it its technical design, the features,
>> the quality or non technical reasons?
>
> How would I know? It wasn't designed to be a replacement for KIO (as far as I
> know, KDE developers weren't invited to help the designing so that it would be
> a suitable replacement). That's a direct opposite of D-Bus, which was designed
> to replace DCOP, with input from KDE developers too.
>
> I think you're the one best qualified to give the technical reasons why. And
> given your emails previously, it seemed to me that you don't believe it to be
> a replacement for KIO either. (you listed many things that KIO does and it
> doesn't)
>
> I think there are many things we should fold back into fd.o with suitable
> "platform" implementations. And there are many things we have to have
> abstractions for in KDE, for the benefit of other systems. VFS may be one of
> them, but it's by far the most complex one that I can think of, so it's
> probably going to be the last one to go too.
>
> Can we fix first global shortcuts, system tray icons, proxy configuration,
> etc.?

With proxy configuration being first on the list imo. Having a single shared
interface for that for all apps that are network facing would be a huge win,
since right now, UNIX/Linux is the last place where this needs to be done
(already exists in Mac OS X and Windows.)

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Developer and Project Lead for the AltimatOS open source project