Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jul 15 07:39:51 BST 2009

nf2 wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Thiago Macieira<thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>> But I also believe that KDE libs should use what technologies they
>> have that are better than what the other desktops have. This includes,
>> for example, the file dialog: I definitely don't want to see the GTK
>> file dialog in my KDE applications if I launch them in GNOME.
>
>Yes, but you would probably expect them to use the file-management
>engine provided by the system. AFAIK that's what Gnome tried to
>achieve with GIO. It's just a set of GInterfaces, and the GObjects
>which implement those interfaces are defined in adaptor modules.  If
>you for instance run Gimp or Dia on Windows, they will still have Gtk
>filechoosers with embedded previews, but the engine which drives it,
>is obviously Windows filemanagement. No GVFS, D-Bus etc...

That could be done with KIO too.

The difference is we chose not to, because it falls into the category of
"things we do better than the platform".

(And, obviously, because no one even tried to port KIO to Windows VFS)
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358