Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:15:17 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Thiago Macieira<thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> But I also believe that KDE libs should use what technologies they have that
> are better than what the other desktops have. This includes, for example, the
> file dialog: I definitely don't want to see the GTK file dialog in my KDE
> applications if I launch them in GNOME.

Yes, but you would probably expect them to use the file-management
engine provided by the system. AFAIK that's what Gnome tried to
achieve with GIO. It's just a set of GInterfaces, and the GObjects
which implement those interfaces are defined in adaptor modules.  If
you for instance run Gimp or Dia on Windows, they will still have Gtk
filechoosers with embedded previews, but the engine which drives it,
is obviously Windows filemanagement. No GVFS, D-Bus etc...

The interesting thing seems to be, that they are able to abstract
everything what's needed in a filechooser through GIO: Also the items
that appear in the "places" pane on the left side (like C: on
Windows).

Cheers,
Norbert