Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 23:51:40 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Thiago Macieira<thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> I believe the problem here is a historical one. Since KDE has always been
> the platform and the KDE libraries only had one platform to integrate
> with, we have never had the need for separation.
>
> That need is now arising.
>
> We would need an architecture more or less like this:
>  - the underlying platform
>  - what should be in the platform but isn't there, like global
> accelerators, configuring of date and time formats, VFS, etc.
>  - a cross-platform toolkit abstracting the platform
>  - a set of libraries providing cross-platform functionality that no
> platform has, but we feel our apps should have.

What kind of "platform" do you mean? A platform shared with other desktops?

Regarding the dependencies of GVFS you were talking about in an
earlier mail: Which of those dependencies do you think would be
problematic for KDE? KWallet vs. Keyring - i think there are attempts
to fix that (Cool!), there are some minor dependencies to gconf AFAIK,
but i guess that could be fixed if KDE says "we really want to use
GVFS, but..."

Cheers,
Norbert