Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jul 14 22:29:05 BST 2009

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>Now, personally, I don't want to lose all the nice KDE things, when
> working on and in my chosen platform. Compared to KDE, I feel clumsy
> everywhere else. But they are KDE advantages, so I'd like to abstract
> them away, and have Krita use those facilities only when running on
> KDE.

I believe the problem here is a historical one. Since KDE has always been
the platform and the KDE libraries only had one platform to integrate
with, we have never had the need for separation.

That need is now arising.

We would need an architecture more or less like this:
 - the underlying platform
 - what should be in the platform but isn't there, like global
accelerators, configuring of date and time formats, VFS, etc.
 - a cross-platform toolkit abstracting the platform
 - a set of libraries providing cross-platform functionality that no
platform has, but we feel our apps should have.

The current architecure is nowhere like that. The underlying platform is
too low, the cross-platform toolkit isn't complete for all tasks. And we
complemented the platform by writing the necessary tools using not only
the toolkit, but the our own libraries as well.

That's a dependency reversal. How can Qt integrate with a platform that
builds on top of Qt? That's an answer I've been trying to answer for the
past two years in my day job :-)

I don't know how to solve this without stopping all KDE 4 work and
spending 2 years into making KDE 5.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358