Kill KIO (was: Repositioning the KDE brand)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Jul 12 14:40:47 BST 2009

Evgeny Egorochkin wrote:
>On Sunday 12 July 2009 15:44:31 Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
>> >
>> >Is it documented somewhere how to integrate with kio via D-Bus?
>>
>> No, I don't think so. You need to ask klauncher to start a slave for
>> you, then you communicate with that slave via standard QDataStream
>> protocol.
>>
>> I tried adding D-Bus support for kioslaves before the KDE 4 release,
>> but gave up because I wasn't seeing the point. The protocol isn't
>> suitable for the communications we need (synchronous, blocking) and I
>> also didn't see the value.
>>
>> It was making our lives harder for no real benefit. If there's real
>> want for this, I can resurrect the project.
>>
>> But don't make me waste my time if no one is going to use this.
>
>If there's no demand, it's not done. If it's not done, there's no demand
> ;)
>
>To make KIO usable to non-kde apps, preferably it should be available as
> a separate package with less dependencies(eg no kdelibs).

No.

KIO can be a full D-Bus protocol in itself, without KDE dependencies. How
we implement it, it's besides the point. Others can implement it without
KDE dependencies. We will use them.

The KIO library is very intricately linked to kdecore and kdeui. There's
just no way to take it out.

> Also it
> really makes sense to discuss with with GIO people. Even if we don't
> share code, we might at least share some of our interfaces which would
> be a first step towards a shared(and useful) VFS.

Agreed.

>Discussions with GIO people and analysis of what can/should be done
> indeed takes quite some effort and it appeared to me there was a person
> interested in doing this... but he's been silent for some time... maybe
> got scared of the actual complexity of the task or angry KDE
> developers? ;)

The person interested in this is the one who started this thread: Norbert,
a.k.a. nf2.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358