Kolf: Rumours of its death have been much exaggerated

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 7 05:27:43 BST 2009

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 9:43:01 am Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 05 July 2009 22:16:57 Ian Wadham wrote:
> My real point is only that you shouldn't allow yourself to be lulled into
> assuming an >ordering< for a container unless it's spelled out, even if it
> does happen to usually end up sorted in practice.

Yeah, tell me about it!  I worked for a long time in a relational database
shop, Unix + Ingres, with multiple hosts and databases.  One of the
commonest "traps for young players" was exactly that ... "But I loaded
the table in sorted order and there is no hash or index on it", they would
say.  Never mind about that, the "order by" clause is the only way!

So it never hurts to have a warning on the packet (i.e. in the doco).

> > I am now retired and claim to be KDE's oldest developer, at age 71 ...
> > :-)
>
> Wow.  I'm hoping I'll still be able to see at age 71 and you're fixing
> show- stopping bugs. Bravo. :)

Thanks, Michael, but it was the above experience that clued me in ... :-)

Cheers, Ian W.