Kolf: Rumours of its death have been much exaggerated

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jul 7 02:50:38 BST 2009

A Dilluns 06 Juliol 2009 04:16:57, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 8:29:00 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Am Sonntag 05 Juli 2009 21:24:30 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> > > I'm assuming the API docs didn't mention that the list would be sorted?
> > > Unless that was the case it's definitely an application bug, no one
> > > should ever expect a list to be sorted in any fashion unless the API
> > > documentation states so.
>
> True, the API docs do not mention that and true, the application writer
> should not expect such a thing.  The problem, from an application
> writer's point of view, is that some KDE doco is so brief that you have
> to guess what the library does or conduct an experiment in your code.
>
> The trap you fall into then is that you cannot distinguish easily between
> a feature and a side-effect.  Worse still, if the doco is not good, you may
> completely miss finding and using a valuable feature.
>
> KConfig doco and all KDE doco has improved tremendously since the
> time Kolf was written, several years ago.  I would like to help make it
> even better, but there is a Catch 22 ... how can I write about something
> I do not fully understand?  I would need some expert help to review
> anything I wrote.

I think that just pointing out were you find some explanation is missing would
be enough, most of the times one as a library developer does not add more
documentation because for him it's obvious what the function does, so someone
pointing what is missing is a very good thing already.

> > From what I have heard, Kolf's usage of KConfig::groupList() is fixed
> > now.
>
> Yep.  I fixed it with a QStringList::sort() and will backport soon to KDE
> 4.3.
>
> Not an ideal solution, but Kolf 1 is nearing the end of its life and will
> soon be replaced by Kolf 2, thanks to you, Stefan.  Meanwhile, continuity
> of KDE Games releases will be preserved.
>
> All the best, Ian Wadham.
> Melbourne, Australia.
>
> P.S. To introduce myself a little to this list: I started in computers in
> 1964 and have performed almost every kind of job in the industry,
> except salesman and computer operator.  For a time I was even
> manager of an academic Computer Centre and Technical Director
> of a 50-man software company.
>
> My programming and design work have been in device drivers, O/S
> kernel (not LInux), real-time systems and on-line database applications.
> I am now retired and claim to be KDE's oldest developer, at age 71 ... :-)
> I was the white-haired guy you may have seen at Akademy 2008.

<hug>We all love you man :-)</hug>

Albert