Solid Buttons

Trever Fischer wm161 at wm161.net
Tue Jan 27 03:22:05 GMT 2009

Solid currently supports a very small subset of hardware buttons reported by
hal. Specifically: lid, sleep, and power.

As a laptop user, that's a very small subset of buttons available to me. I've
pushed every button on my keyboard (including Fn+whatever) and dbus-monitor
says I've got all these:

brightness-up brightness-down ThinkPad volume-up volume-down mute coffee Fn+F2
battery display_off sleep undock wifi-power switch-videomode display_switch
Fn+F8 zoom wake-up hibernate stop-cd next-song previous-song play-pause
forward back

No clue what the 'coffee' means, but thats the same as Fn+F2, which has a lock
icon on it. battery and display_off are Fn+F4, while switch-videomode and
display_switch are Fn+F7. Also, wake-up and hibernate are the same as Fn+F12.

Those oddities must be something with my thinkpad's acpi driver or even hal,
as some of those keys are also handled by X (such as the player control keys).

Anyways, I propose adding support to Solid for these buttons. At the bare
minimum, I'd like to see support for the brightness control. My naive self
thinks that adding more items to the enum Solid::Button::ButtonType to cover
all (or the most common of) these buttons would be a good idea. For exotic,
unknown buttons (such as 'coffee'), giving some kind of backend-provided
string to identify the name to the Button class would solve the design problem
of the library forcing valid but unknown buttons to be unsupported and
impossible to use.