Moved Mobipocket plugins to kdereview

Jakub Stachowski qbast at go2.pl
Mon Jan 26 19:23:56 GMT 2009

Hello,

I just moved plugins for Mobipocket format support to kdereview/mobipocket.
Mobipocket is e-book format quite widely used by online bookstores and
supported by many hardware ebook readers. Similar formats are epub and fb2,
already supported by Okular.

The code in kdereview provides three plugins:
1) generator for okular. Works similar to epub generator: extracts HTML,
cleans up some Mobipocket-specific oddities and puts the result into
QTextDocument. It cannot read files protected by DRM (it seems quite easy to
break but I don't need any legal troubles).

I used it for some time now with my ebook collections and it works well. If
you need some free Mobipocket files for testing you can find them here:
http://www.webscription.net/c-1-free-library.aspx (lots of SF books).
2) thumbnailer. For now it only handles thumbnails embedded in file. It does
not try to create missing thumbnail from HTML content
- strigi analyzer

Both analyzer and thumbnailer do support DRM-ed files (thanks to only text
being encrypted - images and metadata are in clear)

One thing I am not sure about is how to split lib/ directory - there are only
2 small .cpp files here. Does it make sense to create and install shared
library?

My goal is to have the plugins in kdegraphics in time for KDE 4.3.