Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Klaas Freitag freitag at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 11:11:13 GMT 2009

On Mittwoch, 21. Januar 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

Hi,

thanks for bringing that up and discussion so far :)

> it would be good if we could discuss this issue. i'm not really convinced
> personally about whether Fate is The Solution for us or not, but i'm also
> really unsatisfied with Bugzilla-as-feature-coordinator.
>
> discuss! =)
I think it would be wrong to use Fate only as a replacement for the
enhancement functionality in Bugzilla. I agree it would not make sense
to have yet another tool for that, so the discussion went a bit in the
wrong direction.

Fate has more the focus on product design or planing. In openSUSE the
process is that we gather features and different kind of managers
decide which set of features is going to which product (and version),
i.e. where limited resources are booked on. While going through that
decision process nice clearity of what kind of features can be
expected in which product, which is useful information for not so
much development related people (support, marketing etc.).

I think the product planing aspect could be interesting for the
KDE community and so this proposal goes more into the direction
of replacing the feature plan that lives in TechBase.

Of course KDE can not force resources to something and does (thankfully)
not have so much management, thus the process we use in SUSE does
not fit. But Andre was collecting some ideas on how that process
should be to make this applicable for KDE:
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenFate/Upstream

I think that makes it more clear what the benefit of using Fate
could be. Not so much about collecting user wishes, but a more
concious decision of what goes to KDE 4.x and more transparency
about that.

looking forward to more discussion,

Klaas