Fate vs Bugzilla for feature tracking

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri Jan 23 03:40:01 GMT 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 21:35:59 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:17 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 January 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> >> Launchpad will be opensourced fairly soon
> >
> > until that actually happens, any discussion about launchpad in KDE is
> > premature.
>
> This isn't of much concern to me - altough I would love better feature
> tracking for the release articles. Yet I would say that's a bit harsh.
> There is no reason to expect them not to do it - and if we would
> decide we would use it if they open it, they would probably release it
> the next day or so. We've had such an influence before. So dismissing
> this as an option for that reason - doesn't sound "KDE" to me...

It's not FOSS, ergo, we can't use it. It's as simple as that. That makes _any_
discussion about launchpad premature until it becomes FOSS. They've been
saying they'll open launchpad for years now, and it hasn't happened.

Let's also not forget that people have to maintain that installation, which is
not something I'm at all interested in doing.
--
Matt