Application version numbers

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 14:23:44 GMT 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 14:43:30 John Tapsell wrote:
> 2009/1/22 Allen Winter <winter at kde.org>:
> > On Wednesday 21 January 2009 11:49:41 pm John Tapsell wrote:
> >> Is it possible to have an application version just simply be the
> >> version number of KDE?
> >>
> >> The version numbers tend to be confusing.  For example, kate is
> >> released with each KDE release.  It follows the KDE releases exactly,
> >> so shouldn't the kate version be simply the KDE release version?
> >>
> >> Instead kate is at version 3.1.3, while KDE is at version 4.1.3.
> >> It makes bug reporting kinda confusing.  If I say that I have a
> >> problem with kate 3, people generally think that I mean the version of
> >> kate that came with KDE3..  And Konsole is at version 2.1.
> >
> > Coincidentally, just the other day I created a kdepim-version.h
> > for kdepim apps to use which contains a version string matched
> > to the kdelibs version that it is released against.
> >
> > currently it says
> > #define KDEPIM_VERSION "4.3.0 pre"

We might want to add the SVN revision of the last change, we have that for at
least Akonadi and Kleopatra already and it has proven quite useful already.

> You know that you could do:
>
> #include <kdeversion.h>
> #define KDEPIM_VERSION KDE_VERSION_STRING
>
> right?

No, because that will only give you sensible version numbers when building
against a recent kdelibs from trunk, not when working with the latest stable
distro packages or kdelibs from branch instead.

regards
Volker