Overwriting default menu entry locations (was: Re: KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/xmlgui)

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jan 16 16:44:08 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> But, the addition of
> <Menu name="go" noMerge="1">
> </Menu>
> is really a hack around the problem that one cannot redefine the location of a
> standard entry.

I kind of disagree with this statement.
The whole point of ui_standards.rc _is_ to define the location of standard entries,
in order to provide some consistency between KDE applications.

In the (hopefully rare) case where an application wants to force a layout of
actions that differs from the ui_standard, then the tool we have for that is noMerge="1", so it's logical that one has to use that in order to override the
default Go menu with a custom (here, empty) one.

I agree with you that we could come up with a nicer way to do it (but that would
mean adding yet another feature to xmlgui, and I'm not sure how it would be
best specified in xml and implemented). With the current features provided by
XMLGUI, this is the correct way to do it.

This being said, I agree with your other email about the reason for the
bug, and I'm going to add a unit test to test that case now.