Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 20:14:48 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > Or maybe intermittent releases of kdeplasma-addons? Like once every
> > > two months, with two weeks of freeze? Would make for nice testing
> > > ground of seasoned releases as well ...
> >
> > yes, that would be nice indeed given the rate of change those tend to
> > have =)
>
> Will the rate of changes still be so high if libplasma is frozen for six
> months? Who wants to write applets for a frozen library when the
> version in trunk has so many cool new features one could play with? ;-)

;)

> Also, what happened to the idea to install the applets via ghns instead
> of relying on the applets to be packaged by all distros. I thought the
> applets where supposed to be platform-independent, i.e. script code
> with some SVG graphics.

there will always be some C++ plugins. but yes, we're working pretty hard on
the scripting options.

> Furthermore, what's the point of making a release every two months given
> that the big distros all have a six months schedule, so that the
> majority of our users have no advantage of a two months release cycle?

it wouldn't be targetting the majority of our users, the group who are most
useful to us (oh, so selfish! ;) because they build from source and then
report problems. it's also a nice way to keep them happified and closely
engaged with the project, though i guess they could just follow svn in that
case for that one module as well.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se