Squeezing "Show Keyboard Status" indicator into KDE 4.2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 19:35:15 GMT 2009

On Monday 05 January 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > we used to have an extragear repo for plasma stuff, but it became
> > > kdeplasma- addons instead because it was "too hard" for people to
> > > keep up between versions as BC was breaking in libplasma. just
> > > sounds like we need to start up the extragear again for plasma,
> > > though that makes kdeplasma-addons a bit of an odd duckling then.
> > >
> > > personally i don't think there's a lot of reason for another
> > > module, though.
> >
> > Or maybe intermittent releases of kdeplasma-addons? Like once every
> > two months, with two weeks of freeze? Would make for nice testing
> > ground of seasoned releases as well ...
>
> yes, that would be nice indeed given the rate of change those tend to
> have =)

Will the rate of changes still be so high if libplasma is frozen for six
months? Who wants to write applets for a frozen library when the
version in trunk has so many cool new features one could play with? ;-)

Also, what happened to the idea to install the applets via ghns instead
of relying on the applets to be packaged by all distros. I thought the
applets where supposed to be platform-independent, i.e. script code
with some SVG graphics.

Furthermore, what's the point of making a release every two months given
that the big distros all have a six months schedule, so that the
majority of our users have no advantage of a two months release cycle?
(Yes, they might have a small advantage if their distro's release cycle
is shifted some months w.r.t. our release cycle.) Only a very small
fraction of our users use repositories that provide intermediate
updates.

So unless _we_ provide ready-to-install versions of those applets for
the major distros (which is said to be trivial with openSUSE's build
service) a two months schedule doesn't make much sense to me.

This is all IMO.

Oh. One more thing. If you already do intermittent releases yourself why
not do all releases yourself (which brings us back to extragear)?

Hugs, love and peace,
Ingo