Request to remove kformula from kdelibs

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Mon Jan 5 17:24:45 GMT 2009

On 2009-01-05, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2009 22:48:05 Sven Langkamp wrote:
>> hereby I request to remove kformula from kdelibs.
>>
>> The kformula in kdelibs is a copy of the one from KOffice, which is
>> alpha-quality and is not meant to be released. Second to that it causes
>> problems with KOffice installations.
>> It's very important to do this as fast as possible, so that it doesn't get
>> released with 4.2
>>
>> kformula should be either continue as part of KOffice or be moved to
>> playground.
>
> Is KFormula part of the kdelibs API or ABI? If so, you can deprecate it, but
> not remove it.

It looks like it was copied over in revision 862918 from koffice by
johnflux.

As such, it does not look like it is part of the *released* kdelibs abi
or api as in kde4.1, so removing it will not break the abi or api from
any released versions.

But I don't know if anything in kde4.2 expects it to be there.

> It would be good to know how KFormula ended up in libs anyway, as this would
> indicate a problem with our review process (not that I think it's perfect
> ...).

It looks like it was copied without going thru kdereview, so the missing
part of the review process is "how do we catch things that doesn't
follow the review process"

/Sune