tags/kdesupport-for-4.2

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 16:18:12 GMT 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009 14:34:49 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Sunday 04 January 2009 14:25 schreef u:
> > Akonadi from tags/kdesupport-for-4.2 means also kdepimlibs 4.2. This
> > will be a problem as soon as kdebase trunk starts depending on
> > kdepimlibs trunk (which probably never happens).
>
> Correct.
>
> > OTOH, kdepim 4.2 should work with the trunk versions of everything else
> > since the trunk versions of Akonadi, kdelibs and kdepimlibs are BC to
> > the corresponding 4.2 versions.
>
> Akonadi from trunk does not need to be BC with previous versions of
> Akonadi. That's why we created an akonadi branch 1.1, so all akonadi
> releases 1.1.x can be used with any KDE 4.2.x release.
>
> Akonadi trunk is meant for 4.3.x, which will receive a protocol update
> rather soonish (which is effectively the runtime version of BIC)

Not necessarily, Akonadi has been backwards compatible so far, although we did
changes to the protocol. This just means that newer clients require a newer
server, but not the other way around. There was a period of time during the
4.2 cycle where this was not the case though, but the protocol was fixed in
time for beta2 to actually be backward compatible with 4.1 again.

So, Akonadi trunk should work with 4.2 in theory, but you of course have to
live with the normal breakage expected during development.

regards
Volker