tags/kdesupport-for-4.2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 14:01:20 GMT 2009

On Sunday 04 January 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> Op Sunday 04 January 2009 12:35 schreef u:
> > Maybe it's necessary to restate that kdesupport is not meant to be
> > the permanent home for "thirdparty" libraries needed by KDE. At
> > least in the past is was the temporary home for "thirdparty"
> > libraries that were not yet included in the major distributions so
> > that KDE developers did not have to update those libraries from
> > different locations. Has this changed?
>
> I think we can safely say this has changed yes. It seems to be a
> permanent home for projects which are developed by KDE developers.
> Which is fine in my opinion.

It's also fine with me. Except, maybe instead of using a tag one could
organize this differently.

We could use a directory (named, for example, kdesupport-for-4.2)
containing no subdirectories, but instead externals definitions
pointing to the correct branches (plural!) of the different kdesupport
projects. This way nobody needs to update a tag if a bug is fixed in
one of the kdesupport projects. Obviously, this would require the
kdesupport project maintainers to do proper branching of their project
(which they should do in any case), but it would not require proper
branching of the whole kdesupport.

In fact, we could move all kdesupport projects somewhere else
(extragear/supportlibs?, supportgear?) and then organize kdesupport the
same way as outlined above for kdesupport-for-4.2. Then we could even
do proper branching and tagging of kdesupport without forcing a common
branching policy on all kdesupport projects.

What do you think? Does this make any sense?

> > FWIW, akonadi will be moved to freedesktop.org as soon as the
> > project is approved (which hopefully still happens this millennium
> > :-/ ).
>
> Haha. Yes, you can have dreams ;-) After the project is created we
> need all developers to have an account, if that takes another year we
> can safely assume freedesktop is not a place where you can
> efficiently work, it would be madness to move (personal opinion
> here)...

So is freedesktop.org as free as the late XFree86?

Regards,
Ingo