tags/kdesupport-for-4.2

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 11:35:44 GMT 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009, Tom Albers wrote:

> > > It can be dynamic, as long as strigi checks out and works for the
> > > kde 4.2
> >
> > branch. So if you release a new version you can replace the tag to
> > point to that.
> >
> > I've never seen people use tags as a kind of symbolic link.
>
> Sometimes tags move. After the next major release, it is static for
> ever.
>
> > I thought
> > tags were only used to label points in time. Would it not be better
> > to put this information in a README in the 4.2 branch?
>
> Sure, we can do that too.

Yeah, for those people who are masochistic enough to do

for PROJECT in ALL_PROJECTS_IN_KDESUPPORT do
  svn co -r REVISION_FROM_README \
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/kdesupport/PROJECT

instead of a simple

svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/tags/kdesupport-for-4.2/kdesupport

> > I'd be ok with using non-dynamic copies. I would personally be fine
> > with a tag for the entire kdesupport as we do with all directories
> > in KDE/.
>
> Each kdesupport app/lib is on a different schedule, so we can not tag
> as a whole.
>
> > I think all projects in kdesupport should make sure that they
> > can be tagged like that. Code for which this is not possible should
> > go in a branch.
>
> Yep, thats the ideal world, in which we do not live in.

Maybe it's necessary to restate that kdesupport is not meant to be the
permanent home for "thirdparty" libraries needed by KDE. At least in
the past is was the temporary home for "thirdparty" libraries that were
not yet included in the major distributions so that KDE developers did
not have to update those libraries from different locations. Has this
changed?

FWIW, akonadi will be moved to freedesktop.org as soon as the project is
approved (which hopefully still happens this millennium :-/ ).

Regards,
Ingo